Sex/Gender Dysphoria

Discussions about the topic of gender
zlatan

Sex/Gender Dysphoria

Post by zlatan »

I see a lot of differing opinions on this, but how do you all feel about people with dysphoria who transition? I definitely don't vibe with anyone who claims to be trans without dysphoria. Sometimes I'll see radfems saying something like 'Transition is always bad for everyone so we can't let anyone transition' but others who say 'As long as they stay out of women's spaces whatever.'

What do y'all think and why? :D
Technician
Site Admin

Re: Sex/Gender Dysphoria

Post by Technician »

My personal view is that someone above let's say age 20, given HONEST and non-ideological information from the medical community, can make her or his own decision on how to cope with dysphoria. Severe cases, as determined by HONEST doctors, should (IMO) have a right to transition, where the fees are covered by health care. But everyone should be strongly encouraged to try out a "feminist" psychotherapy course first. Problem is, such therapy is barely offered by anyone. :-(

I assume you mean medical transition by the way, i.e. mainly HRT. Don't know if SRS is ever necessary for alleviating mental anguish, so not sure if it should be paid by health care. As for mere "social transition" as opposed to medial transition, I don't care much because it's reversible, except if we're talking about children where it can set a precedent for later medical transition...
This account belongs to the FeministWiki Technician. Any views expressed herein represent the personal opinions of the technician. The FeministWiki is a purely for-the-community platform and does not have leaders or official stances of its own, apart from being based on classical/radical feminist ideology.
zlatan

Post by zlatan »

Hey admin! I really liked your answer about this because I feel like a lot of people don't get honest or complete information about the effects of HRT or SRS. Also I think a required part of that therapy should include examining the source of one's dysphoria. I rarely see therapists or mental health professionals looking into why their patient has dysphoria and I also see a fair amount of detransitioned radfems who had internalized misogyny, which in part caused it.

It does concern me a lot to see super little kids thinking their trans and I agree that hormones shouldn't be an option until the person is old enough to be somewhat mature and make informed and reasonable desions.
LesbianAlex

Post by LesbianAlex »

I do think transition can be maladaptive or harmful in some cases. I think therapy-therapy should have to be done first. I think a lot of people especially TIFs are suffering from trauma and that has to be addressed before trans specific care. I think it can also sometimes be congruent with eating disorders or self-harm, and i worry that it becomes an extension of those harmful behaviours. Another problem is transition is treated as a fix all when if you have PTSD, anxiety, depression, body dysmorphia etc. transition will not fix those problems and i think may lead to frustration.

I agree adults have the right to do so if they need to but finding if they have GID more purely or something else causing the dysphoria (like being bullied for being butch and sexual abuse). I have sex dysphoria but transition didn't help as much as trauma-based therapy.